It’s time for my fantasy booking series to return! We’re rounding off the month of May with more of the build to Money In The Bank. Did anybody else remember that there was a six week gap between Backlash and MITB? I didn’t. If you’re wondering where I left things, read the articles for the last PPV (Backlash) and the last article. Anyway, let’s fill out those ladder matches!
Monday Night Raw, 21st May
Results: Gable & Benjamin defeat The Usos by pinfall, Naomi defeats Mickie James by pinfall, Balor Club defeat Cesaro, Sheamus & Elias (Balor pins Sheamus), Authors of Pain squash local talent, Dolph Ziggler defeats No Way Jose by pinfall, The Miz defeats AJ Styles by pinfall
Promos: – Matt Hardy and Bray Wyatt are in the upside down with the Raw Tag Team Championships. They talk about how nobody has come forward to be their next challengers, and wonder who will materialise from out of the blue. Matt says that there is a blueprint for their futures, and it involves a bonanza at Money In The Bank. Bray says that whoever stand at the other side of the battlefield would be better off running.
– AJ Styles is backstage with Renee Young. Renee notes that this will be the first time we will see Styles in the ring since he lost the WWE Championship, and asks if we will see a different AJ Styles. Styles says that it would have been easy for the series of matches with Nakamura to have changed him. He thought Nakamura was his friend, he respected and trusted him. Styles says he knows that might have put a target on his back, and we saw that on his first night back on Raw when Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn tried to mock him for being upset over betrayal. Styles says we can all see how much success their friendship has gotten them over the last two weeks. Styles says that it’s taken him a little while to get over everything, but he is focused, he is ready and he is still phenomenal. Tonight he’s going to prove it against The Miz, and then he’s going to go on and win the Money In The Bank contract and become your new Universal Champion.
– We see a video package running through Bobby Lashley’s career from when he first started in WWE and his championship reigns then, through to the present day. Clips are interspersed with an interview with Lashley, where he talks about being ready to take the spot that he was aiming for a decade ago.
– Paul Heyman is backstage with Renee Young. Renee asks Heyman about the challenge that Bobby Lashley will pose Roman Reigns. Heyman asks if Renee has finally lost her mind, because Bobby Lashley doesn’t pose any challenge to the big dog. Heyman says that Lashley could have been the next big thing in WWE a decade ago, but he chose to leave. Heyman says that he could have become a global superstar, but he decided to choose another path. Heyman says that there was someone else who was in the same situation, and made the same decision, and Roman Reigns beat him and drove him out of professional wrestling. Heyman doesn’t see any reason why things will be different at Money In The Bank. Heyman says that he knows Bobby Lashley will be in action next week, and he can assure Lashley that he and his client will be watching closely. Heyman says that is a matter of being prepared, but that there is now way that Bobby Lashley can prepare for Roman Reigns.
– Kurt Angle gathers Alexa Bliss, Natalya and Ronda Rousey in his office. He says that he wanted to take some time to think about the number one contender’s match two weeks ago. Angle says that Bliss won, but the match was clearly affected by outside interference on both sides. He also says that Rousey has shown last week and already tonight that she is not going to go away quietly. So Angle says that he is throwing out the result of the first number one contender’s match, and at Money In The Bank we will have a new one when Alexa Bliss takes on Natalya and Ronda Rousey in a triple threat match.
Storyline: – Alexa Bliss is at ringside for Mickie James’ match, but she gets run off by Ronda Rousey while the match is in progress.
– Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn interfere in The Miz vs AJ Styles, costing Styles victory.
– Before next week’s show Randy Orton vs Elias is announced as the final Raw men’s Money In The Bank qualifier for next week, as well as a tag match between Naomi & Ember Moon and Alexa Bliss & Mickie James.
SmackDown Live 22nd May
Results: Peyton Royce defeats Liv Morgan by pinfall, Bludgeon Brothers squash local talent, Seth Rollins defeats Sunil Singh by disqualification, Titus Worldwide defeat The Revival by pinfall, Drew McIntyre defeats Baron Corbin by pinfall
Promos: – Bobby Roode is backstage with Renee Young. She asks Roode what’s next for him after failing to win the number one contenders’ battle royal two weeks ago. Roode says that his last few weeks have been anything but glorious, he knows that. Roode says that for the last two weeks he has been taking a long hard look at himself, and do you know what he has seen? Someone who lives the high life, someone who has won titles all around the world, the prototype of a WWE Superstar. Roode says that his matches haven’t gone his way because he took his eye of the ball, he forgot what made him glorious in the first place. He says that he needs to get back to what set him apart, and if that means focusing on himself before anyone else, then so be it. Roode says that what is next for Bobby Roode is the climb back up the ladder. He says he is coming for championship gold, and that starts in two weeks when he qualifies for the Money In The Bank ladder match. Roode says that it won’t be long before he is able to put a title around his waist again, and when it happens, that moment will be glorious.
– Seth Rollins comes down to the ring to issue his weekly open challenge for the Intercontinental Championship. Jinder Mahal’s music hits and the modern day Maharaja comes out with Sunil Singh. Before either of them can talk, Rollins says that he already has a match against Mahal at Money In The Bank, but if he wants to take his title shot early then Rollins has no problem beating him here tonight. Mahal says that’s not going to happen, he’s waiting for the match on his own terms at MITB. But with that in mind, how dare Rollins continue his open challenge. Mahal says that if someone were to beat Rollins and become the new Intercontinental Champion, Mahal could lose his title shot through nothing more than Rollins’ stupidity. Mahal says that is disrespectful to him and to the people of India that he represents. Rollins asks Mahal if he is running scared. Rollins says that he is happy to take on all comers, and he is confident that he will still be Intercontinental Champion at Money In The Bank and beyond. But Rollins says that here tonight, he’s looking for a fight. He says that he issued an open challenge, and that Jinder answered it. Rollins says that either he can walk down to the ring and fight Rollins like a man, or he can get out of the way and let someone else have an opportunity that he is too chicken to take. Mahal gets worked up, and comes down to the ring with Singh. Mahal says that if it’s a fight that Rollins wants, then it’s a fight that Rollins will get. But Mahal says it will be a non-title match, and it will be against Singh.
– Paige is backstage with Shinsuke Nakamura and Jeff Hardy for a contract signing for their WWE Championship match at Money In The Bank. Paige introduces both men, and gives the contract to the challenger to sign first. Jeff opens up the contract, but has something to say before signing it. He says that he has reached the top of the mountain before. He has main evented Pay-Per-Views, he has won just about every championship there is to win in the game. Jeff says that it’s been nine long years since he last held a world championship in WWE, and there may be people wondering whether he can still compete with the best. Jeff says that at Money In The Bank, he will make those fears obsolete when he pins Nakamura 1-2-3 to become your new WWE Champion. He slides the contract across the table to Nakamura, who laughs. Nakamura says Jeff may have been the best a long time ago, but Nakamura is the best now. Nakamura simply says that at Money In The Bank there will only be one outcome: knee to face. Nakamura signs the contract and Paige says it’s official to end the segment.
Storyline: – The New Day’s music hits during Titus Worldwide vs The Revival, and they come down to ringside to throw pancakes at Dash and Dawson. The distraction allows Crews to get the pinfall victory.
– Sunil Singh gets disqualified in his match against Seth Rollins when Jinder Mahal interferes. Rollins wins the match by DQ, but Mahal and Singh are left standing tall with Mahal holding up the Intercontinental Championship.
– Daniel Bryan comes on to commentary for Drew McIntyre vs Baron Corbin. He talks about Corbin being dangerous, but taking shortcuts and attacking people from behind. Bryan says he would never do that, because he doesn’t have to do that.
– Killian Dain vs Big Cass and Nikki Cross’ in-ring debut against Ruby Riott are announced as Money In The Bank qualifiers for next week, as is Jeff Hardy vs Jinder Mahal.
Monday Night Raw, 28th May
Results: Samoa Joe defeats Elias by submission, Braun Strowman & Finn Balor defeat The Miztourage by pinfall (Strowman pins Dallas), Nia Jax squashes Mandy Rose, Matt Hardy & Bray Wyatt squash local talent, Bobby Lashley defeats Kevin Owens by pinfall, Naomi & Ember Moon defeat Alexa Bliss & Mickie James (Moon pins James)
Promos: – Dolph Ziggler and Tye Dillinger both find Angle backstage and ask why they weren’t in a MITB qualifier. Angle says there were only so many spots, and he had to make the matches weeks ago. But Angle has been impressed by the two of them, so since they know the US Champion definitely won’t be in MITB, Ziggler will face Dillinger next week for a US Title shot at the PPV.
– Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin come on to the stage after The Deleters of Worlds’ victory. They say that they have now proven that they are a better tag team then The Usos, and that got them thinking about what’s next for them. They say that Hardy and Wyatt have been asking for new challengers for weeks, so they went to the back and asked Kurt Angle, and now everyone has gotten their wish. They say that at Money In The Bank, it will be Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin vs Matt Hardy & Bray Wyatt for the Raw Tag Team Championships.
– We see a lengthy video package with Natalya and Ronda Rousey separately talking about training together, Ronda’s debut, and wanting to be champion.
– Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn come down to the ring in their ring gear. They talk about getting involved in the AJ Styles vs The Miz Money In The Bank qualifying match last week. They say that AJ Styles took an unnecessary shot at them when he mocked them, and they play a clip of Styles’ interview last week. They ask how Styles can say that they haven’t been successful when Styles hasn’t won a match since Wrestlemania. They say that Styles lets his emotions get the better of him, whereas everything they do is calculated and deliberate. They talk about Nakamura turning on Styles at Wrestlemania, saying that Styles hasn’t been the same since, but Owens and Zayn know that they can trust each other and would never attack a best friend like that. Owens then says that brings him to tonight, because he is facing Bobby Lashley. Owens says that, like Styles, Lashley also has no friends, and that might have made him delusional. Owens says Lashley actually thinks he has a chance of becoming Universal Champion at Money In The Bank, even though he hasn’t been here for a decade. Owens says that Lashley is in for the beating of a lifetime against Roman Reigns at Money In The Bank. Owens then turns to Zayn and says it could be worse, they could be AJ Styles. At that point Styles comes out and goes after Owens and Zayn, hitting them both with strikes. Eventually the numbers game gets the better of Styles, and then Lashley comes out for the match.
Storyline: – Samoa Joe takes out Randy Orton before his scheduled match and takes his spot in the MITB qualifier against Elias.
– The Miz is on commentary for Strowman & Balor vs The Miztourage, talking about how his protégés are going to soften up Strowman and Balor ahead of the Money In The Bank ladder match, which The Miz will win for a second time.
– Roman Reigns attacks Bobby Lashley after the match against Owens, hitting a couple of superman punches and then taking him out with a spear. Reigns goes to leave with Heyman and gets halfway up the ramp, then turns round to go back into the ring and gives Lashley another spear. Referees come down to the ring to wave Reigns off, and he does go to the back. The refs help Lashley out of the ring, and start to help him to the back, but when they’re on the ramp Reigns comes back out and hits another spear.
– Sasha Banks is on commentary for the women’s tag main event, and goes into the ring to attack the faces afterwards. Asuka comes out and attacks Alexa Bliss, Mickie James, Ember Moon and Naomi while Banks escapes, and Raw goes off the air with Kurt Angle on the ramp declaring Asuka to be the final Raw entrant into the women’s MITB match.
– As well as Dillinger vs Ziggler for a United States Championship shot, a tag match between the Raw qualifiers for the men’s Money In The Bank Ladder match – Braun Strowman & Finn Balor vs Samoa Joe & The Miz – is announced for next week’s Raw.
SmackDown Live, 29th May
Results: Killian Dain defeats Big Cass, Ruby Riott defeats Nikki Cross, Charlotte squashes a local talent, Jeff Hardy defeats Jinder Mahal, Andrade “Cien” Almas & Baron Corbin defeat Daniel Bryan & Drew McIntyre by pinfall (Almas pins Bryan)
Promos: – The Riott Squad are together backstage before Ruby Riott vs Nikki Cross. Ruby talks about how they can’t afford to come up short tonight. Ruby talks about how Logan and Morgan both came up short in their qualifiers, and tonight they need to make sure that Riott does make it to the ladder match in three weeks. She says that tonight she’s up against the crazed Nikki Cross. She says that most people would be intimidated or confused by Cross’ antics, but Riott has overcome it before. She says that tonight, she’s going to lead the Squad by example and advance to the Money In The Bank ladder match.
– Carmella attempts to join in with the Riott Squad’s celebrations after Riott qualified for the Money In The Bank ladder match. She says that Riott is one step closer to following in her footsteps from last year when she became the first ever Ms. Money In The Bank. Carmella reminds them that she cashed in and became SmackDown Women’s Champion. She says that she will regain her crown by defeating Charlotte in three weeks, and says that the Riott Squad can make a smart decision and be in her corner for that match. Riott says that they saw how Carmella approached The IIconics, and asks why Carmella didn’t come to them first. Riott says they are nobody’s second choice. Riott says that they don’t need Carmella with them to get the Women’s Championship, because Riott will cash in and become champion in her own right. Riott squares up to Carmella and says if that means she has to cash in on Carmella, then so be it. Carmella leaves and the Riott Squad continue their celebrations.
Storyline: – Drew McIntyre and Andrade “Cien” Almas are shown separately watching the Killian Dain vs Big Cass Money In The Bank ladder match qualifier.
– The Bludgeon Brothers come out after Dain beats Cass and attempt to attack Sanity. The five men brawl around ringside for a few minutes, before Sanity gets the upper hand and forces Harper & Rowan to retreat.
– Seth Rollins is on commentary during Jinder Mahal vs Jeff Hardy to scout his opponent for Money In The Bank. After Hardy wins, Shinsuke Nakamura appears behind him during the celebration and low blows him, before hitting Hardy with a Kinshasa.
– During Daniel Bryan & Drew McIntyre vs Baron Corbin and Andrade Almas, Bryan has Corbin in the Yes Lock and Corbin taps, but Zelina Vega has the referee distracted. In the confusion, Almas hits Bryan with the double knees in the corner and the hammerlock DDT for the win.
Current Money In The Bank card:
Roman Reigns (C) vs Bobby Lashley for the Universal Championship
Shinsuke Nakamura (C) vs Jeff Hardy for the WWE Championship
Men’s Money In The Bank Ladder Match – Finn Balor vs Braun Strowman vs Andrade “Cien” Almas vs The Miz vs Drew McIntyre vs Samoa Joe vs Killian Dain vs ?
Women’s Money In The Bank Ladder Match – Ember Moon vs Bayley vs Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch vs Naomi vs Peyton Royce vs Asuka vs Ruby Riott
Seth Rollins (C) vs Jinder Mahal for the Intercontinental Championship
Alexa Bliss vs Ronda Rousey vs Natalya in a triple threat match for the number one contendership to Nia Jax’s Raw Woman’s Championship.
Charlotte (C) vs Carmella for the SmackDown Women’s Championship
Bludgeon Brothers (C) vs Sanity for the SmackDown Tag Team Championships
Matt Hardy & Bray Wyatt (C) vs Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin for the Raw Tag Team Championships